Lepton Highlanders have been running junior football teams now for well over 30 years. We have been a member of the Huddersfield and District Junior Football League throughout this period and are affiliated to the Football Association via regional West Riding County FA.
The club was particularly successful in the 1980's winning 5 Division One titles at varying age groups.
The number of teams the club was running declined by the 1994/95 season to just 2 age groups. However following a fresh influx of personnel at the club and growth in interest in football in the community of Lepton and surrounding area new terms were formed in the following seasons.
The club has continued to expand in the following years running further teams year on year. With the introduction of Mini Soccer by the FA the club has continued to expand. The club now runs teams in every age group from Under 7 to under 17.
At the start of the 2013/14 season the Junior Boys section of Lepton Highlanders merged with the Junior Girls Section to provide one all inclusive club as part of the clubs ongoing development.
In 2013/14 season the club is running 21 teams in total, both boys and girls, the highest number of teams in the clubs history. The club also runs an Under 6's pre organised football group providing football learning/fun sessions.
The club is a FA Charter Standard Club being one of the first club's in Huddersfield to gain the award.
The cricket club was founded in 1854 which makes it one of the oldest in the area. It started in the Association (and its ground was used in 1906 for the 'Rest Match'; the minutes of the league reveal that a Mr Moorhouse was designated to 'make arrangements to meet the players at Waterloo not later than 2:30pm').
From the Association it graduated to the Huddersfield Central League (even though it was turned down for membership in 1914), and then to the Huddersfield League in 2000.
In the early days the Lepton club was linked to the local parish church (St John the Evangelist, built in 1868). This meant that the club was forbidden from playing home games on a Sunday.
In July 1953, three Lepton men put their signatures to a very important letter:
On behalf of [Lepton Highlanders CC.], we are please to state that we have negotiated the purchase of the Cricket Field and the adjoining Plantation, approximately 12 acres. By doing this we safeguard for all time a Cricket Field for the residents of Lepton. Our Cricket Club has been functioning as such for more than 100 years, therefore you will note that this is no new venture.
The Cost of the Field etc will use up all our reserves and we shall find the future running of the club very difficult without some public support. We appeal to you for a donation for the purchase of the ground. All donations will be gratefully acknowledged.
Cheques etc should be made payable to the 'Lepton Highlanders Cricket Club' and sent to either of the undersigned.